August 26, 2020
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, most of our parish faith formation will be home-based this fall. We are excited about our new offerings and hope you can join us!
2020 Faith Formation Registration Form
Families need to register if participating in First Communion, Confirmation, Lending Library or any groups that involve video conferencing. For safety purposes, we will only give out Zoom or Teams links to families registered for faith formation. Registration is not required to attend the Family Masses but is helpful for planning purposes.
We are asking for a small donation of $15/child or $30/family this fall. However, if you are not able to pay that, please register anyway. This is only a suggested donation, and families are welcome to contribute more or less depending on their circumstances.
Monthly Family Masses
During this time while we are not able to have regular faith formation at St. Peter, Fr. Auggie is going to offer a monthly Family Mass for children, teens and parents. Of course, children are welcome at any of our parish Masses. But considering the present circumstances, we thought it might be helpful to set aside one Mass a month to be geared to the children and teens of the parish. This month’s Family Mass is Sunday, September 27th at 1 PM.
Monthly Home Activities and Prayer
Each month we will focus on a theme related to our faith. Activities will be sent home at the Family Mass. (We will arrange a pickup for those unable to attend.) September’s theme will be Prayer.
First Communion Preparation (Gr. 1 and 2)
Per Diocese of Memphis norms, preparation for First Communion is a two-year process. Usually children prepare for First Communion during grades 1 and 2, but we are happy to work on a plan to prepare older children or teens for First Communion as well. Information about preparing for First Communion this year may be accessed here:
Confirmation Preparation (Gr. 7 and 8)
Per Diocese of Memphis norms, preparation for Confirmation is a two-year process. Usually children prepare for Confirmation during grades 7 and 8, but we are happy to work on a plan to prepare older teens as well. Information about preparing for Confirmation may be accessed here:
Atrium Materials Lending Library (Gr. 3 and younger)
Families who participated in the atrium last year may check out selected atrium materials like the Good Shepherd or Model Altar to work with at home.
Children’s Liturgy of the Word (Gr. 3 and younger)
We offer a prayer gathering for children on most Sunday mornings. We read the Sunday Gospel, sing and pray. Currently, we gather via video conferencing.
Scriptures, Saints and Virtues (Gr. 4-6)
Students in grades 4-6 are invited to gather for prayer and scripture sharing. This fall, we will highlight some interesting saints who celebrate fall feast days and look at saintly virtues we see in their lives and ours. We will gather via video conferencing.
High School Book Study (Gr. 9-12)
Last spring the high school group discussed The Screwtape Letters via Zoom. More information soon about this fall!
Parents of 1st Graders and 7th Graders
The Diocese of Memphis requires two years of preparation for First Communion and Confirmation. Usually this happens in 1st and 2nd grades, and then in 7th and 8th grades. If your child is in 1st grade or 7th grade, he/she needs to participate in faith formation this year to prepare for First Communion or Confirmation next year. This “pre-sacrament” year can take place in Catholic school or in the parish.What does this mean this fall?
- First graders who are not in Catholic school are registered for faith formation at St. Peter. They will have a few home activities each month. For example, in September we are focusing on prayer. Children will set up a home prayer table and make prayer cards. They are also encouraged to attend the monthly Family Masses and participate in Children’s Liturgy of the Word (Zoom).
- Seventh graders who are not in Catholic school are registered for faith formation at St. Peter. They will participate in the Sunday sessions with our youth minister Kaitlyn Pham and the youth team. These are combined for 7th and 8th graders and will meet via Zoom or Teams. They will also be encouraged to attend the monthly Family Masses.
We recognize that this is a difficult year and want to work with everyone to make sure children are on track for their sacraments. If you have any concerns about your child’s sacramental preparation, please let us know. We are happy to help with a plan for your family.
Parents with Children in Catholic Schools
Your family is welcome to participate in ALL of our faith formation activities. Here are a few notes that might be helpful:
- Family Mass – Some of the children are not yet going to Mass at Catholic School so this might be a really good opportunity.
- Prayer Table Kits – If your school is not sending these home, you are welcome to sign up to take home one of ours.
- Atrium Material Lending Library – Many of the children at St. Agnes and St. Dominic (grade 2 and younger) were in the atrium with Mrs. Loretta last year. If so, you are welcome to check out materials from us even if you did not participate in our parish atrium.
- First Communion – We are using a combination of family activities at home (MagnifiKids, prayer table kits, etc.), the Family Masses, and the First Communion series Blessed. Second graders at St. Agnes and St. Dominic are already using Blessed at school (so we won’t send home a second book unless needed.)
- Confirmation – We are not using a set series from a publisher. Our youth minister Kaitlyn Pham and her team are putting together a unique program for our own teens.They will meet via Zoom or Teams on the Sundays when we do not have a Family Mass. These sessions will be for everyone, Catholic school teens included.
Prayer Table Kits
During the month of September, we will focus on Prayer. Everyone is invited to set up a prayer table at home (like we have in the atrium). We are making 50 prayer table kits to send home at the Family Mass. These will go to our First Communion and Confirmation families and anyone who completes the registration form and selects “Monthly Home Activities and Prayer”. If we run out, we can make more later. If you would like a prayer table kit but cannot attend the Family Mass, we will make arrangements for you to pick up from the church or an east Memphis location.
For more information about any of the above, please contact Christina Klyce at [email protected] or Kaitlyn Pham at [email protected].