On April 4, 2018, the 50th anniversary of the assassination of The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the Bishop of Memphis, Martin Holley, will assemble the faithful at the National Shrine of St. Martin de Porres and lead them in a walk of faith to the National Civil Rights Museum. All are invited to participate in this day-long commemoration. Dominican Friars and Sisters from all over North America will be present.
Schedule of Events
- 7:30 am Morning Prayer with Dominican Friars – National Shrine of St. Martin de Porres
- 7:45-1:00 pm. Private prayer / Sacrament of Reconciliation – National Shrine of St. Martin de Porres
- 1:00 pm Rosary – prayed in St. Peter Catholic Church
- 1:30 pm Mass – celebrated in St. Peter Catholic Church
- 2:45 pm Begin march from St. Peter Church/National Shrine of St. Martin de Porres (approx. 1.2 miles)
- 3:30 pm Arrive at National Civil Rights Museum and participate in National Civil Rights program in courtyard
We are located at the corner of Adams Avenue and B.B.King (Third Street). The Secure Parking Lot (201 Adams) will be free for those participating in our prayer on April 4. Additional parking will be available at the parking meters ($1.25 per hour, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.) and other nearby lots (prices vary).
Enter the National Shrine of St. Martin de Porres through the gate on B.B.King (Third Street). Enter St. Peter Catholic Church on Adams Ave.
National Shrine of St. Martin de Porres: Family members may drop off on Third Street (BB King) directly in front of the gates to the Shrine Courtyard. Enter through gate. Shrine Chapel is on your right. (No steps required)
St. Peter Catholic Church: Family members may drop off those with disabilities in front of the church. (There is a curb ramp next to the alley.) Go through the courtyard gates. A wheelchair ramp to the church is located in the courtyard garden between the church and parish office. Enter through the black wrought iron gate. Ramp is on your left. You may also proceed straight ahead through the courtyard. Go through the double glass doors. A wheelchair lift is immediately inside on your left.
Note: There is an elevator for those going from the National Shrine of St. Martin de Porres to St. Peter Catholic Church.
Please ask one of our ushers to help, or contact the church office at 901-527-8282 if you need help with accessibility or have questions.