Confirmation 2020 (for Catholic teens)
Confirmation will be on Sunday, February 23, 2020 during the 11 Mass. Please see the document below for important dates and details.
Questions? Contact Christina Klyce at [email protected].
Confirmation Preparation for Teens
Preparing for Confirmation in the Diocese of Memphis is a two year process.
- Usually youth prepare for Confirmation during 7th and 8thgrades, and are confirmed during the spring of 8th grade.
- Those in Catholic Schools participate in sacramental preparation sessions in the parish during their 8th grade year.
- Those in Public or Private Schools attend parish religious education during 7th and 8th grades, in addition to the sacramental preparation sessions during their 8th grade year.
- All Confirmation candidates participate in the Confirmation retreat and group service projects.
A few other guidelines:
- Youth preparing for Confirmation must attend Mass regularly on Sundays and Holy Days.
- Family prayer and scripture reading is an essential part of the sacramental preparation process. Teens should know basic prayers and be reading the Bible at home with their families and on their own.
- During the year of Confirmation, parents attend sessions offered specifically for them during this process.
- Teens in Catholic Schools and those in Parish Religious Education attend the sacramental preparation sessions and retreats together.
- Although most teens are confirmed 8th grade, the specific grade is not as important as the young person’s desire and eagerness to receive the sacrament. Families are encouraged to pray and discern with their child to help him/her know when he is ready to begin formal preparation for the sacrament.
- Catechesis is not just learning facts about the sacraments (or the church). Catechesis nurtures and deepens our relationship with God.
- Catechesis does not end with Confirmation. Catechesis is a lifelong journey!