First Communion 2020
First Communion will be celebrated on Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 11 a.m.
Please register your child for sacramental preparation at www.stpeterchurch.org/registration. A parent meeting will be held on Sunday, September 15 at 12:15 (following 11 Mass) For more information, please contact Christina Klyce at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First Communion Preparation
Preparing for First Communion in the Diocese of Memphis is a two year process.
- Usually children prepare for First Communion during 1st and 2nd grades, and receive their First Communion during the spring of 2nd grade.
- Children in Catholic Schools attend sacramental preparation sessions in the parish during their 2nd grade year.
- Children in Public or Private Schools attend parish religious education during 1st and 2nd grades, in addition to the sacramental preparation sessions during their 2nd grade year.
A few other guidelines:
- Children preparing for First Communion must attend Mass regularly on Sundays and Holy Days.
- Family prayer and scripture reading is an essential part of the sacramental preparation process. Children should be learning basic prayers and reading (or listening to) the Bible at home.
- During the year of First Communion, parents attend sessions offered specifically for them during this process.
- Children in Catholic Schools and those in Parish Religious Education attend the sacramental preparation sessions and retreats together.
- Although most children receive First Communion in 2nd grade, the specific age/grade is not as important as the child’s desire and eagerness to receive the sacrament. Families are encouraged to pray and discern with their child to help him/her know when he is ready to begin formal preparation for the sacrament.
- Catechesis is not just learning facts about the sacraments (or the church). Catechesis nurtures and deepens our relationship with God.
Catechesis does not end with First Communion. Catechesis is a lifelong journey!