First Communion 2020
First Communion will be celebrated on Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 11 a.m.
Please see the document below for important dates and details. For more information, please contact Christina Klyce at [email protected].
First Communion Preparation
Preparing for First Communion in the Diocese of Memphis is a two year process.
- Usually children prepare for First Communion during 1st and 2nd grades, and receive their First Communion during the spring of 2nd grade.
- Children in Catholic Schools attend sacramental preparation sessions in the parish during their 2nd grade year.
- Children in Public or Private Schools attend parish religious education during 1st and 2nd grades, in addition to the sacramental preparation sessions during their 2nd grade year.
A few other guidelines:
- Children preparing for First Communion must attend Mass regularly on Sundays and Holy Days.
- Family prayer and scripture reading is an essential part of the sacramental preparation process. Children should be learning basic prayers and reading (or listening to) the Bible at home.
- During the year of First Communion, parents attend sessions offered specifically for them during this process.
- Children in Catholic Schools and those in Parish Religious Education attend the sacramental preparation sessions and retreats together.
- Although most children receive First Communion in 2nd grade, the specific age/grade is not as important as the child’s desire and eagerness to receive the sacrament. Families are encouraged to pray and discern with their child to help him/her know when he is ready to begin formal preparation for the sacrament.
- Catechesis is not just learning facts about the sacraments (or the church). Catechesis nurtures and deepens our relationship with God.
Catechesis does not end with First Communion. Catechesis is a lifelong journey!